Cocktail Sausage Bun, Year-End SAHM
鸡尾酒小香肠面包, 岁末家庭主妇


It's end of the year, and company do not allow to carry over any balanced annual leave to next year. So, I decided to take the last 2 weeks of December off and be a SAHM (Stay At Home Mum).  It feels good to spend more time with children, and prepare meals personally for the whole family. On some days, I would "take order" from everyone before meals; On other days, I would just cook based on what I have in the fridge. In-between meals, I would flip my recipe book and do some leisure cooking. I really enjoyed being a SAHM for this 2 weeks.

My younger one is a big fan of sausage buns.Whenever we walk into a bakery shop, she would order sausage buns without doubt. As expected, she requested for them again when I asked her what bread she wants me to bake today.


I have some cocktail chicken sausages bought from TESCO, JB during our 2D1N trip to Malaysia. These sausages are of premium quality and make perfect for mini sausage buns.


I used the same recipe as Soft Bun with Ham & Onion in my earlier post. Water roux is a must to retain the softness of the buns.

COCKTAIL SAUSAGE BUN
(Bread recipe source: 65°c 汤种面包)


INGREDIENTS
(makes 25 mini buns)

Water Roux
- 25g bread flour
- 125g water

Bread Dough
- 300g bread flour
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/4 teaspoons dry yeast
- 80g fresh milk
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 30g butter (softened)
- 90g water roux

Egg Wash
- 1 egg white
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil

Others
- 25 cocktail sausages

DIRECTIONS:
  1. Prepare water roux (microwave method):
    • Mix water roux ingredients together in a bowl. Stir until smooth.
    • Heat up in microwave. Every 15 seconds, take out and stir to make sure no lumps of flour. Within 1 minute, the mixture will start to thicken, stop when you see traces in the mixture for every stir you make with spoon or chopsticks.
    • Leave to cool completely before use.
  2. In a large bowl, add flour, yeast, sugar, salt, egg, water roux and milk. Mix well with a wooden spoon or a whisk.
  3. Add in softened butter and knead with hands to form a ball. The dough is sticky, but DO NOT add flour, just leave it as it is.
  4. Cover the bowl with cling wrap and leave to proof in a warm area for 45mins.
  5. Remove the dough from the bowl . With lightly floured hands, gently give a few light kneading to press out the gas. Divide dough into 25 balls – about 30g each. Leave to rest for 5 mins.


  6. Flatten each ball and roll out to oval shape with a rolling pin. Place the sausage on the rolled out dough. Roll up from the bottom.
  7. Place the roll in a greased tray, and leave to proof for 20-30mins.


  8. Brush with egg wash.  Bake in preheated oven at 200 degC for 15-18 minutes, or until top is golden brown.


Comments

  1. 这也是我家里小孩最爱吃的小面包。谢谢你的分享。

    ReplyDelete
  2. I followed the directions and the dough was a mess, it was almost pancake liquid impossible to knead and and nowhere near the look of your buns and instead of yielding 25 buns it only make 7! ... however the taste was fabulous and my kids devoured the sorry seven. would you consider making a CUPS version of the recepie, perhaps my measurements were wrong. thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sonia, the dough is sticky before proofing, but definitely not pancake liquid. Maybe your measurement is incorrect? After proofing, you can add some flour and knead the dough for a while and let it rest before knead again.

      I don't have cup version, if you want, can use the conversion table in my blog as a rough gauge?

      Delete
    2. Thank you! I will buy a scale is a sin that I don't own one, other than that the bread was delicious it was queer looking but tasted amazing.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Best Melt-in-the-Mouth Pineapple Tarts (Sonia's Recipe)

Cake Muffins Worth Queueing for at Shunfu Market

Air-Fried Buttermilk Chicken